Parents Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security
Both state and federal laws protect the confidentiality of information about your child that identifies him or her. Such information is known as “personally identifiable information.” Under New York state’s education law, if you are a parent or legal guardian of a child at NYC Autism Charter Schools, you have the following rights regarding the privacy and security of your child’s personally identifiable information and data:
- Your child’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
- If your child is under age 18, you have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of your child’s education records.
- Safeguards must be in place to protect your child’s personally identifiable data when it is stored or transferred. These safeguards must meet industry standards and best practices. Examples of such safeguards include encryption, firewalls, and password protection.
- You have the right to make complaints about possible breaches of student data and to have such complaints addressed.
- You have a right to be notified in accordance with applicable laws and regulations if a breach or unauthorized release of your child’s personally identifiable information occurs.
- Employees with access to personally identifiable information will be trained annually on safeguarding personally identifiable information.
Complaints to NYC Autism Charter Schools should be directed in writing to:
Data Protection Officer
NYC Autism Charter Schools
433 E. 100th Street New York, NY 10029
Parents may also submit a complaint to NYSED online.
Link to NYCACS Parents Bill of Rights